COVER CROPPING ASSISTANCE
Looking for an innovative way to boost soil health and fertility on your farm? Cover cropping is for you! Cover crop plantings improve soil fertility and organic matter, keep soil in place, are useful in managing field moisture, and can help control weeds, pests and diseases.
Make seeding cover crops a cinch by renting our pull-type no-till seed drill. At a 6 ft working width with optional capacities for native grass and small seeds, the drill is ideal for any cover crop or pasture renovation application if you have a minimum 40 HP tractor with rear remote hydraulics to run it. We will also have a flail mower available to rent in 2018 as an option for terminating cover crops.
Contact Alison Nichols for technical assistance around cover cropping and see the resource list below.
COVER CROPS FOR THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST
- WSU Puyallup Organic Farming Systems and Nutrient Management cover crop trials and cover crop school presentations.
- Cover Crop Resources and Seed Vendors for Oregon and Washington
- Methods for Successful Cover Crop Management in Your Home Garden – WSU Extension
- Cover Crops for Home Gardens West of the Cascades – WSU Extension
- SARE Cover Crop Learning Room
- Managing Cover Crops Profitably, An introduction to cover cropping basics and overviews of cover crop species.
CHOOSING COVER CROPS
- WSU Chart from Methods for Successful Cover Crop Management-- coming soon
- Selection Chart from Managing Cover Crops Profitably
- USDA Cover Crop Chart